NOTEWORTHY PROJECTS

Argonne National Laboratorys

Argonne National Laboratory’ is located outside Chicago and was the first science and engineering research United States Department of Energy National laboratory in the United States, receiving this designation on July 1, 1946. It is the largest national laboratory by size and scope in the Midwest. Argonne was initially formed to carry out Enrico Fermi’s work on nuclear reactors.

Read More

Center of Research Libraries

VVS appraised the Center for Research Libraries which is part of the University of Chicago Campus. The actual building is a uniquely constructed four-story, +175,000 square foot building having no windows except on the east side’s first floor. The remainder is total concrete construction having no natural lighting (which deteriorates printed page).

Read More

Dixie Square Mall

VVS has appraised the Dixie Square Mall. The ‘Dixie Square Mall was an enclosed shopping mall located in Harvey, Illinois, at the junction of 151st Street and the Dixie Highway. It stood vacant for over 30 years, more than twice as long as it was in business. It was famous for having been used, both inside and out, for the mall chase scene in the movie ”The Blues Brothers”.

Read More

Gentilly Landfill

After Hurricane Katrina, the gates of the Old Gentilly Landfill in eastern New Orleans swung open, and with New Orleans in ruins, it quickly became the region’s busiest dump. It was situated amid wetlands and atop an old city landfill that accepted all manner of waste, and environmental groups were aghast.

Read More

Kellogg Sanitarium

VVS appraised the former Kellogg Sanitarium, now Hart-Dole-Inouye Federal Center. The Center is situated on +24 acres or +1,045,440 square feet of land and has +656,987 square feet of office. Dr. John Harvey Kellogg coined the term “Sanitarium”. The complex became Kellogg’s laboratory for developing and promulgating good health and fitness were the result of good diet, exercise, correct posture, fresh air and proper rest.

Read More

Post Ceral Plant

VVS completed an appraisal of the former Post Cereal Plant in Battle Creek, Michigan. The total site area was +64 acres or +2,787,840 square feet. The site was improved with a 100 percent owner occupied, 52 building manufacturing facility having between one to seven-stories. The metal, brick, block and concrete, structures were constructed between 1900 and 1998. The buildings had +1,919,354 square feet of which only +1,676,634 square feet are usable.

Read More

Saginaw Sewer and Water Treatment Plant

VVS has appraised the Saginaw Wastewater Treatment Facility. The design flow of the Saginaw Wastewater Treatment Facility is 32 million gallons per day (MGD). The City has a “Combined Sewer System” in which sanitary, industrial and storm water flow into the same sewer lines. The plant site encompasses approximately forty acres with sixteen buildings. The three main buildings are connected by underground tunnels.

Read More

Theodore Levin United States Courthouse

VVS appraised the ”Theodore Levin United States Courthouse” (also known as the ”Detroit Federal Building”). It is a large high-rise (12-story) courthouse and office building located in Downtown Detroit. The structure occupies an entire block, girdled by Shelby Street (east), Washington Boulevard (west), West Fort Street (south), and West Lafayette Boulevard (north). The total site area is reported as +74,520 square feet or +1.7 acres.

Read More

Detroit Arsenal Tank Plant

The Detroit Arsenal Tank Plant was located in Warren, Michigan and was established 1940 on 341 acres at Warren, 17 miles northeast of Detroit. It had a staff of 400 military and 5,700 civilians. The mammoth structure measured over a million square feet and was five city blocks deep and two blocks wide.  The building was designed by master industrial architect, Albert Kahn, in the Modern style. Few know when it was first opened the only way the building could be heated was with a locomotive steam engine.

Read More

The Regal Theater

The New Regal Theater is located on Chicago’s southside. John Eberson became nationally famous as a designer of atmospheric motion picture palaces, in which the audience sits within an imaginary courtyard, surrounded by exotic buildings under a star-filled sky.The New Regal, which originally was known as the Avalon when opened August 29th, 1927, is a prime example of this type of Movie Theater.

Read More

Pere Marquette Saginaw Train Station

The Pere Marquette Saginaw Station is located in Saginaw, Michigan. If you look at the National and State Historical Building Registers, it will be called the Pere Marquette Saginaw Station. Locally it is called the East Saginaw or Potter Street Station. Potter Street was named after Henry C. Potter. According to the Saginaw News, “Henry Potter brought more than just a railroad to East Saginaw. He brought vitality.”

Read More

Kellogg Cereal Plant

Is located in Battle Creek, Michigan.  At one time Kellogg employed up to 5,000 people at the Porter Street 100 building facility.  Michigan and Porter streets were often crowded with cars and buses, bringing up to 250,000 visitors a year to Battle Creek for the famous cereal plant tours.(Today, Kellogg and Post have a combined total of about 1,750 plant employees and tours were discontinued by the 1980s.

Read More

CentrePoint Business Park

CentrePoint Business Park is located south of the DFW airport midway between Dallas and Fort Worth, Texas. It is a 1,300-acre, master-planned, mixed-use business park that is located at the southern entrance of the Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport at state highways 183 and 360. CentrePort is owned by General Motors Asset Management and is home to American Airlines’’s world headquarters, as well as Southwestern Bell, Uniden America, Travelocity.com, Office Max, Keebler, Whirlpool, and other Fortune 500 companies.

Read More

Granot Loma

Granot Loma is located outside Marquette, Michigan. When it was constructed it was billed as the largest log residence in the world. It is a fifty-room facility on 5,000 acres of woodland. The home features, his-and-hers wine cellars, a nine-car garage and a “gentleman’s farm and barns”.

Read More

Michael Reese Hospital

Michael Reese Hospital is 1,620,000 square foot, 450-bed facility on approximately 37 acres near downtown Chicago that offers a comprehensive array of inpatient and outpatient services. These services range from allergy treatment to full Level III maternity, neonatal and pediatric care, from internal medicine to surgery centers.

Read More

Sanitary and Water Systems In Will County Illinois

Both sanitary and water systems serving University Park, Monee, and parts of Will County, Illinois. The number of sites for both sewer and water were substantial. Especially when considering surface easements. Within the actual holdings, the sewer treatment facility had 10 parcel numbers and 15 surface easements while the water treatment facility has 7 actual holdings and 4 surface easements.

Read More

Saddlebrook Farms

Saddlebrook is an approximate 685-acre planed unit development with nearly 1,000 modular home sites. The existing manufactured homes range from about 985 to 2,130 square feet and there are more than 14 different models.  There are strict requirements on the type of home to be located in the park.

Read More

Concordia Campus

The Concordia Campus is located in Springfield, Illinois and is the main training center for all Illinois correctional officers.  The campus has 28 buildings including gymnasium, dinning halls, living quarter and various other office and administrative facilities in 630,784 square feet of building area.

Read More

Canine Associates International

A state-of-the-art canine training facility located outside Leland, Illinois which provides canine protection for; The President of the United States, The US Department of Defense, The Pentagon, Government Services Agency (GSA), The United Nations, The Transportation Safety Administration (TSA), The Coalition Provisional Authority in Iraq (CPA), Ministry of the Interior, Iraq, National Mine Action Authority in Iraq (de-mining)

Read More